Your safety
Only take the actions below if it is safe to do so. You are the best judge of whether making any changes might lead to further harm. In an emergency, call 999.

Organisations that can help

If you have experienced economic abuse, you are not alone. There are organisations that can support you with the issues you may be facing. 

If you are in immediate danger, call the police on 999. If you want to discuss your options, contact the 24-hour Freephone National Domestic Abuse Helpline (run by Refuge) on 0808 2000 247

The following organisations may be able to help you with specialist information and advice. If you are confident to do so, explain that you are a victim of domestic abuse. This will help them take your safety into account and discuss appropriate options with you. A domestic abuse worker may be able to support you to speak to specialist services. 

“I truly believe in the power of shared information. Sharing information is vital to help victims and try to stop abuse.”

Domestic abuse support 


Supports women and children who have experienced domestic abuse by providing refuges and support in the community. Runs a freephone 24-hour helpline. 

Women’s Aid 

Coordinates a network of 180 local domestic abuse services nationwide and runs an online chat service (Mon–Fri, 10am–4pm; Sat–Sun 10am–12pm). The website a search function to find local services. It also has information for survivors, including the Survivor’s Handbook and Forum, where survivors share their experiences. 


  • 0800 999 5428 (Mon, Tues & Fri, 10am–5pm; Wed–Thurs, 10am–8pm) 

Anti-violence charity offering support and advice for the LGBT+ community. Runs the national LGBT+ domestic abuse helpline. 

AVA Breathing Space

AVA’s Breathing Space app launched in 2021 and can help with signposting, self-care and sharing survivor stories.

Emotional support 


A free listening service offering support to anyone feeling isolated, distressed or suicidal via a 24-hour phoneline and local branches. 

Victim Support 

Runs a 24-hour national support line, local support services and an information service for people affected by crime or trauma. 

Money information and advice 

For specialist help on finances and abuse 

Financial Support Line for Victims of Domestic Abuse 

  • 0808 1968845 (9am-5pm Monday to Thursday, and 9am-12.30pm on Fridays) 
  • [email protected]

The Financial Support Line for Victims of Domestic Abuse is run in partnership between Surviving Economic Abuse (SEA) and Money Advice Plus. It offers specialist advice to victim-survivors of domestic abuse in financial difficulty. 

For general information and advice 

Money Advice Plus 

Offers specialist debt and benefit advice. Can offer case work and support to people in financial difficulty within their area. Works with SEA running the Financial Support Line for Victims of Domestic Abuse (see above). 

Money Advice Service 

A free, impartial money advice service set up by the government. Has advice and guides to help people improve their finances, as well as a budget planner, debt calculator and money manager for Universal Credit claimants. Offers money advice and support by phone and online. 

Money Saving Expert 

Website offers consumer tips to help people cut their bills, find good deals and save money. Users can sign up for weekly money saving tips by email. Website hosts tools including an income tax calculator, discount finder and budget planner, as well as guides on financial products and utilities. In 2019, they published a blog on financial abuse

The Money Charity 

Provides advice and information about debt, savings and financial products, and offers workshops and training. The website hosts a Budget Builder

UK Finance 

View the Financial Abuse Code of Practice that many banks and building societies have signed up to. It outlines how banks and building societies should treat people who have been financially abused. 

Debt information and advice 

Debt Advice Foundation 

Offers free, confidential advice and information on loans, credit and debt, and recommends solutions. Runs a debt advice helpline with qualified debt advisers. 

Debt Support Trust 

Speak to an expert debt adviser by phone or email. People can also complete a debt questionnaire online to access tailored debt advice and information on debt solutions. 

Money Advice Trust 

  • National Debtline 0808 808 4000 (Mon–Fri, 9am–8pm; Sat, 9.30am–1pm) 
  • Business Debtline 0800 197 6026 (Mon–Fri, 9am–8pm) 

Helps people tackle debts and manage money. Runs the National Debtline and Business Debtline, which are free, impartial and confidential debt advice services. Qualified debt advisers are available by phone, with fact sheets online. Also offers training and resources. 


Get expert debt advice, online or by phone, based on your situation. Recommends debt solutions and provides debt information. 


Helps people in financial hardship access benefits, grants and support. The website has a benefits calculator, grants search and a ‘find an adviser’ tool to look for local support. Turn2us also has its own grants scheme and a freephone helpline.

Also see for a list of some of the grants that you may be entitled to. 

Legal advice and information 

Law Centres Network 

Defends the legal rights of people who cannot afford a lawyer. All Law Centres offer face-to-face legal advice to local residents, and some run a telephone advice line. 

Legal Aid 

The government’s legal aid scheme can help people who are eligible meet the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court or tribunal. Use the website to check if you are eligible. 


A network of family lawyers committed to resolving family disputes in a way that considers the needs of the whole family, particularly children. Find a lawyer and access information and support online. 

Rights of Women 

  • Family law: 020 7251 6577 (Tues–Wed, 7pm–9pm; Fri, 12pm–2pm) 
  • Criminal law: 020 7251 8887 (Tues, 7pm–9pm) 
  • Immigration law: 020 7118 0267 (Tues–Wed, 11am–1pm & 2pm–4pm) 

Supports women with advice and information on their legal rights so that they can access justice. Runs advice lines on family law, criminal law and immigration law, and offers legal guides on topics including marriage, divorce and finances; domestic abuse; children and the law; sexual violence; and legal aid. 

The Law Society 

Provides details of local solicitors and legal advisers. 


If you are in urgent need of a refuge, contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 (available 24 hours, run by Refuge). If you are looking for alternative accommodation, contact your local authority — some have private rented assistance schemes. Local authorities have a list of local housing associations that may also be useful. 


Supports people facing housing issues or homelessness with advice, support and legal services. Runs face-to-face advice and support services across the UK, has expert information online, and offers free legal advice to support people who have lost their homes or are facing eviction. Also runs a helpline for people in need of urgent housing advice, including those at risk of harm. 

Supporting children 

Child Benefit enquiries 

Call HMRC for information about eligibility, claiming and stopping Child Benefit, changing your details and making a complaint. 

Child Maintenance Service 

Can help resolve disagreements about child maintenance. Can work out how much should be paid, arrange payments between parties and take action if payments are not made. Victims of domestic abuse are exempt from paying the £20 application fee. 

Family Action 

Provides practical, emotional and financial support to families experiencing financial hardship or domestic abuse. Support services include grants, mental health and wellbeing services, and a phone support service. 


  • 0808 802 0925 (Mon, 10am–6pm; Tues, Thurs & Fri, 10am–4pm; Wed, 10am–1pm & 5pm–7pm) 

Provides information to help single parents, including on managing money, debt and child maintenance. Also runs programmes to help build skills and opportunities for employment, as well as a helpline providing support and advice. 

The Family Fund 

Provides grants for low-income families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people, including for household equipment, sensory toys and family breaks. 

Safety and privacy 

Action Fraud 

The national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime. Also provides help and support to victims, and information about fraud and financially motivated internet crime. 


Provides information on fraud and financial crime, as well as advice on protecting yourself against fraud. Anyone worried they may become a victim of fraud can sign up to the Protective Registration service, which can flag concerns to companies providing credit. 

Information Commissioner’s Office 

Can provide practical information about your data protection and information rights. 

Mailing Preference Service 

Can remove people from mailing lists to prevent post going to an old address. 

Royal Mail 

Contact Royal Mail for privacy queries regarding post or mail redirection. 

Further support 

If you are experiencing economic abuse, you are not alone. We have more information that can support you to take steps towards safety and begin to regain control of your finances.

In partnership with Money Advice Plus